Club: NU Biology Club
Faculty advisor: Mario Mota (secondary: Mike Maxwell, Huda Makhluf)
Among the activities the club envisions are:
· Guidance with timeline and application for medical school
· Hearing from present medical school applicants about their experiences
· Having local physicians and current medical school students as role models
· Peer Support
Maria E Rodriguez-Aguirre, Founder and President of the club.
Biology Club President
National University Biology Club
9388 Lightwave Ave, San Diego, CA 92123
Monday,August 5th, 2013@ 4:00 pm Rm# 134B
The regular meeting of the National University Biology Club will be called to order at 4:00 pm on Monday, in Spectrum Campus Rm#134B by Maria E Rodriguez-Aguirre.
Maria E Rodriguez-Aguirre (President) Dr. Michael Maxwell
Oona Barcelo (Vice-President)
Hene Banyameen (Secretary)
Julianne Downing (NU Lab Manager)
Jason Cuaresma (NU Asst Lab Manager)
Charlene Siva (NU Lab Technician)
Gentry Marks (NU Lab Technician)
1. Call to Order
2. Roll Call
3. Approval of Agenda
4. New Member Introductions
5. Officer Elections (Positions still open)
6. Recruiting of new members
7. Lab Training by Juliann Downing-Lab Manager NU Spectrum
a. August Possible Topics –
b. Instrument Profiling every Friday from 12 to 2 pm beginning in June. Lab Personnel will conduct the profiling.
8. NU Website
b. Lab Internships
c. Job Opportunities
d. Seminars, Webinars and Workshops – Scripps Institute does not want outside guests to attend their seminars.
i. Salk Bulletin : http://lists.salk.edu/mailman/listinfo/salk-bulletin
1. Seminars are free and open to the public but symposiums are not free of charge.
ii. Biotechnology Calendar: http://www.biotech-calendar.com/sdcal/sandiego.php
1. Contact person listed to see if it is okay to attend.
2. Website has various types of seminar and thesis presentations.
iii. UCSD: Chemistry and Biochemistry: http://lists.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/chem_seminars-l
1. Fill out form to get onto mailing list.
iv. Webinars @ SDSU for Geology: http://www.geology.sdsu.edu/seminars/webinars.html
v. Or - Contact department of interest: http://biomedsci.ucsd.edu/events/seminars.shtml
9. Free Journals Subscriptions
a. Nature . Methods: https://www.sunbeltfs.com/forms/nh/subscribe.asp?eid=D50401
b. The Scientist: http://www.the-scientist.com/?subscribe.now
c. Lab Animal: https://www.sunbeltfs.com/forms/lb/subscribe.asp
d. Biotechniques: http://inf-sub.halldata.com/site/INF000141BQland/init.do
e. Others-that may interest you: http://www.freetrademagazines.com/science-research-magazines/
f. Online Journals: http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl
10. Field Trips
11. Journal Club – Meeting place
13. Next Meeting